CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Perfect Deli-style Chocolate Chip Cookie


Hello, thanks for coming over. So, for this recipe, I'll start with the SECRETS that the ingredients alone can't accomplish.

1-Cream salted butter (NEVER margarine) with sugars for 5 minutes. This will dissolve the sugars and whip the butter.

2-This is the hardest step (because it means delayed gratification): You need to refrigerate the dough for 24 to 36 hours. This allows the dough to carmelize and richens the flavor of the dough by 89.7% ;o) So, I usually make my dough in the morning and then cook it the next day around kids-come-home-from-school time. It's my only way of being a cool mom.

3-You need to make BIG cookies. Smaller cookies don't allow for the variation in textures (the aforementioned desire for a crunchy outside, and dense, chewy center). My dough balls are bigger than golf balls; I scoop them with an ice cream scoop. I only place 6 to 8 cookies on each cookie sheet.

4-After the dough is on the cookie sheet, I lightly sprinkle them with course Kosher salt. You wouldn't believe the effect this has. It just brings out all the buttery goodness.

Recipe: preheat oven to 350 F

2 1/2 sticks softened (never melted!)butter
1 1/4 c. brown sugar
1 1/8 c. white sugar
2 cups cake flour (subtract 2 Tbsp. if you do NOT live in a high altitude, over 4000 ft. zone)
1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 Large Eggs
2 tsp. real vanilla
1 lb. high quality semi-sweet chocolate chunks or chips

After creaming sugar and butter for 5 minutes, add all other ingredients and mix just until well blended. Only about 20 to 30 seconds. Form dough balls (in between the size of a roma tomato and a golf ball). Sprinkle lightly with course kosher salt.
Bake for 13 to 16 minutes. Until edges are brown.


Signed with rich, indulgent, chocolatey love,
---Michelle

3 comments:

Becky said...

They look delicious! I can't wait to try them. What brand of chocolate chunks do you use?

Ape said...

I just finished making the dough. Best cookie dough I've ever had!!! Can't wait to taste the cookies...

Michelle Jones said...

Becky, I like Ghiradelli (sp?) . . . sorry it took me forever to answer that!