CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Why not make your own syrup?

Finding a recipe to make my own syrup was actually more of a hunt than I expected, but it was worth it. Changing syrup is always kind of a hard change, at least it has been for me. By the second morning with this recipe I was in love. And the good news is: No HFCS. Our family loves this syrup and it comes together really fast. I found it on Amy's Finer Things in Life. Thanks Amy!


Homemade Maple Syrup

1 3/4 c. white sugar

1/4 c. brown sugar

1 c. water

1/2 tsp. vanilla

1/2 tsp. maple flavoring

Combine sugars and water in saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook 1 minute. Cool slightly. Add vanilla and maple flavoring. Cover for a few minutes to thicken.

2 comments:

Staff at the Rediscovered Bookshop said...

I occasionally throw some (3c) sugar, (1c) water mixed with blueberry juice, and do a fruity varriation for french toast.

acte gratuit said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog, Becky!

Hey, my neighbor makes a "sorta healthy" version of syrup like this: (My boys love it.)


2 or 3 bananas
1/2-1 cup plain yogurt
2-3 Tbsp Real Maple Syrup
Throw in blender and blend!

(She's not one for precise measurements. She just adds stuff till it looks and tastes right. This tends to be on the thicker side.)

Anyway, quick and easy and less sugar than plain maple syrup.

:)

But THIS is my favorite syrup of all time:

Caramel syrup! And it's super quick and easy also!
(But not remotely healthy.)

http://gratuitousrecipes.blogspot.com/2010/02/caramel-syrup.html

enjoy!